Saturday, September 29, 2007

Wanna feel old???

Just walk into an Apple Store. No, not the fresh fruit that keeps the doctor away, I mean the funky, youthful operation that keeps us happy with the coolest technology toys. I've never felt so old. I recently fell, face first, into a deep and unsuspected generation gap when I attempted to get my iPod repaired.



This brightly-lit store has several workstation tables, as well as counters running the length of each side of the store, set up with numerous versions of all the Apple products on display, fully functioning, and available for anyone to try out. Each table has an employee monitoring use and answering product questions. Every product was occupied by either one person, or a whole mob of people trying out the features together. The place was packed and just buzzing with activity. One young girl was taking pictures of herself with her cell phone camera, and using the blue tooth technology to send the picture to the Apple laptop in front of her, then sending the picture to a friend, via the live internet connection, then talking to her friend on that same cell phone about the picture she just sent.

Being OLD, I was looking for a customer service desk, or even a counter with a cash register. I aimlessly wandered through a sea of busy teens and YOUNG adults who apparently, intuitively knew exactly what to do and where to go in this blinding white, futuristic-looking store. Finally finding a young man in a boldly contrasting black shirt, with a lanyard around his neck, I approached and explained about the sad face icon I received on my iPod and asked if he did repairs. Being a literal kid, he answered no (he personally does not do repairs) and stared at me with a big smile. He offered no additional information. We just stared at each other. Stunned, my grouchy old lady persona kicked in and I passive-aggresively turned to my husband and stated "Oh, obviously I am an idiot and they don't know what I am talking about." With that, the man pointed me to an unoccupied laptop and began clicking to the technical assistance screen then asked me to enter my personal information. No signage or explanation, the next generation just knows that if there is a free laptop around, sign in for service.

We needed to schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar (a.k.a. technical customer service) for diagnosis. Unfortunately, the Genius Bar was booked until 4:00 the next day. We could not leave the iPod, but had to return at 4:00 the next day, unless we preferred the 4:15 appointment. hmmmmm

The next day, full-bitch attitude intact and ready for deployment, we walked into the store, headed for the back and accidently noticed the Genius Bar to our right, just as my name and appointment time appeared on a display screen above the bar. Four o'clock on the dime. One of the young men, with his Genius title embroidered on the chest of his black shirt, called my name. I approached and explained the frowning face icon, he plugged my iPod into his laptop, checked the warranty registration through my iPod, clicked a few buttons, then turned around, unlocked a cabinet and handed me a brand new iPod. Thank you very much. This whole transaction took about five minutes, max. I don't believe I have ever witnessed such an efficient warranty experience in my life.

It took me 5 months to get my new computer working--being bounced to every international tech support desk around the world and always starting with the infamous script question "is the unit plugged in?" Five months!! AND I WORK FOR THE COMPUTER COMPANY!!! Obviously, I don't work for Apple. Too bad.

Lesson learned - Quit being such a crabby old bag, go with the flow, and enjoy the fruits of this new quicker, better, NOW kind of world.

4 comments:

Lynette said...

I worry that crabby is just part of getting older. I get irritated so much more often at slow fast food employees.

CK Photo said...

Once you get used to it, the Apple store is a wonderful place!

Julie H. said...

Ha! What an awesome story. :)

Julianna said...

laughing so hard at your lessons learned :) But I don't blame you for being pissed off at the first "no I don't do repairs" guy lol.